NOTIFICATION OF A NEW BASIC ASSESSMENT PROCESS
Mulilo De Aar 2 South (Pty) Ltd (‘Mulilo’) appointed Arcus Consultancy Services South Africa (Pty) Ltd (‘Arcus’) to undertake a Basic Assessment (BA) process for a proposed on-site substation, with capacity up to 400kV, and Battery Energy Storage System (BESS) and associated infrastructure which is located approximately 26 km north-east of the town of De Aar and falls within the Pixley ka Seme District Municipality of the Northern Cape Province.
The proposed development site forms part of the Electricity Grid Infrastructure Central Strategic Transmission Corridor as per Government Notice 113, National Environmental Management Act, 1998 (Act No. 107 of 1998).
The aims of the proposed development are to ensure that:
- The on-site substation can assist with facilitating the evacuation of additional energy generated by the proposed DA2S WEF and stored within the BESS, over and above the authorised DA2S WEF collector substation and the proposed DA2S WEF switching station;
- The BESS may diminish the invariability of energy supply into grid – thus making power supply into the national Eskom grid more reliable; and
- The DA2S WEF project is not limited in its capacity to be a competitive bidder within the RMIPPP/REIPPP or any programmes going forward.
Arcus Consultancy Services South Africa (Ltd) Pty (‘Arcus’) has been appointed to act as project manager and to undertake the environmental impact assessment process for Environmental Authorisation under Chapter 5 of the National Environmental Management Act, 1998 (Act 107 of 1998 – NEMA) as amended, for the Proposed Development.
Below are the links to the Draft Basic Assessment Report which is available for public review and comment from the 19 October 2020 to the 17 November 2020 (both days inclusive) at the following locations:
- The Longyuan Site Office in De Aar; and
- Website: www.arcusconsulting.co.za.
Volume I Draft Basic Assessment Report:
Volume II Specialist Impact Assessment Reports:
When accessing the Draft Basic Assessment Report at the Longyuan Site Office in De Aar please note the below protocols:
|Protocol for accessing the BAR at the Longyuan Site Office in De Aar|
|Opening Hours||09h00 – 16h00 (by appointment only)|
|Address||19 Van der Merwe Street, DE AAR, 7000|
|Contact Person||Beverley Horak|
|Contact Number||083 793 9254|
|COVID-19 Safety Measures||No Mask = No Entry
Please sanitize before and after use of the BAR
With reference to the proposed development, please send your comments on the Draft Basic Assessment Report in writing before the Wednesday, 18 November 2020 to the below address:
Arcus Consultancy Services South Africa (Pty) Ltd
Reference : 3945 DA2S WEF Substation and BESS
Contact Person : Ashleigh Blackwell
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Post : Office 607 Cube Workspace, Icon Building, Cnr Long Street and Hans
Strijdom Avenue, Cape Town, 8001
Telephone : +27 21 412 1529
Fax : +27 86 162 2885